I love it when my people get excited about a day like Halloween, which when pronounced correctly in dog speak is HOWL-o-ween! They buy candy that I can’t have but include me by making dog friendly bits that are special HOWL-fully goodies that I can have. This makes me feel included and not like Charlie Brown who was always getting “rocks”. Of course I have been known to pick up a rock or two when my people aren’t looking.
I suggest you send your favorite four-legged fur pal a Halloween Card. I love to get mail, sometimes I steal my people’s mail so getting a card from the great pumpkin is a special event. This card is an edible, natural rawhide.
Last year I dressed up as a candy corn skeleton, but this year I am taking the advise of one of my ZoomRoom trainers and going as a dust bunny so that all I need to put on is my lovely locks and lay on the floor helping my people clean!
Here are some treats you can make for your treat bag:
Howl-o-ween Pumpkin Oatmeal Spice Dog Bones
(makes about 20 cookies)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1. Heat up the oven to 375 degrees (let your two-leggers do this)
2. Combine pumpkin, oil, water, and cinnamon in a large bowl, stir well. (I always ask to lick the spoon)
3. Gradually mix in the oatmeal and flour (if you are sensitive to flour you can substitute with Almond flour which is a naturally grain-free Paleo-friendly flour) to form the stiff cookie dough.
4. Roll dough out in 1/4″ thickness and cut with your favorite cookie cutter on a floured surface.
5. Bake on a non-stick cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes.